Saturday, October 29, 2005





A Satellite 320 free flight model. I recently built this from a Midwest kit that I purchased when I was a kid, back in the late '60s. The engine is a Norvel .049. The covering is silkspan, which was dyed with Tintex fabric dye, and finished with clear dope. This is probably the best covering job I have ever done. Silkspan is a nice material to work with. The fuselage (balsa sheet) is covered with Japanese tissue, and painted with Brodak colored dope.

I have not yet tested this under power, but it has a beautiful glide, and should be a real floater. The wing area is 320 square inches, which is a lot for an .049 engine.

The timer is a Texas Timers Micro I. The fuel tank is a Perfect brand wedge-type tank. The Norvel engine is equipped with a crankcase pressure tap, to pressureize the fuel tank.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is cool.

Simon Blake said...

Beautiful free flight model; I am looking at building that design for the new National Free Flight Design Golden Age event for designs from 1957 to 1969. Have you test flown it? As you mention, it seems like a pretty big airplane for an .049.

Walter said...

Work responsibilities have kept me away from models for a while, so I have not flow it yet. I am looking forward to Spring 2017, when I will get back to flying. The nearest flying field where I can fly gas models is about one hour away.

 Baby Biplane The plans for this were featured in Flying Models magazine a few years ago. It was originally designed for the K&B Infant ...